Knowing what products you’re putting into and using on your body is very important, which is why DIY products are always a winner when it comes to beauty and self-care. What’s also great about DIY beauty products is that the ingredients often cost next to nothing to buy, they last for ages and can actually be fun to make.
Movie night with the besties making booty scrubs? Count me in!
DIY Lip Balm
This lip balm is super easy to make and can make a great stocking filler for the holiday season (we know it’s only September, but it’s never too early to start thinking about Christmas!)
- 3 tbsp Beeswax Pellets
- 2 tsp shea butter
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 10-20 drops essential oil of your choice
- Melt the beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil together in a microwave-safe container in 30 second increments, stirring after each addition.
- Stir in your essential oil.
- Pour your mixture into pots or tubes and allow to cool.
Your lip balm is ready to use! If you are using these lip balms as holiday gifts, it’s a great idea to add some pearl dust (used for cake decorating) or cosmetic glitter powder at the same stage as your essential oil to give it that festive, glittery feel.
DIY Booty Scrub
We’ve all seen the Instagram ads for booty scrubs, and it can be tempting to spend big bucks on such a product when they advertise it to you so damn well. Who doesn’t want a smooth, polished, acne clear butt? There’s no need to blow all your money on these products though, as you can make them super cheaply and easily at home – and they work just as well! The below recipe is for a honey and lemon scrub/mask, which brightens and moisturises the skin and cleanses your pores (yep that’s right – bye bye ‘buttne’!)
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Empty your honey and lemon juice into a bowl and mix.
- Add your sugar and allow it to melt into the mixture.
- Massage the mixture into your butt cheeks, making sure it is spread evenly.
- Use a warm, damp cloth to wipe the scrub off once it has hardened.
You should repeat this scrub twice a month for the best results!
DIY Makeup Remover
This makeup remover is not only super simple to make, but it also has amazing benefits for the skin. Since jojoba oil is not actually an oil – (it’s a liquid wax ester made from expeller-pressed jojoba seeds, in case you were wondering) – it won’t clog your pores like most other oil based makeup removers.
- 1oz jojoba oil
- 1oz rose water
- Combine both ingredients in a jar or bottle and shake well.
- Disperse the mixture onto a cotton pad or ball and gently rub the face.
- Use a soft, clean and dry cloth to remove the makeup.
- Repeat until makeup is completely removed.
DIY Face Wash
Making your own face wash is a great idea for if you want to be super gentle and know exactly what products you are putting on your skin. We love this face wash for balancing dull, tired skin as well as refreshing and protecting it.
- 2/3 cups rose water
- 4-5 drops vitamin E oil
- 1/3 cup castile soap
- ¼ cup vegetable glycerin
- 10-20 drops essential oil of your choice (feel free to use more than one essential oil)
- Simply mix all ingredients together and pour into a bottle of your choice. We find a glass pump bottle works best!
- Gently shake the mixture and massage well into face before rinsing.
- Follow with toner and moisturiser to complete your skincare routine.
DIY Makeup Setting Spray
Setting spray makes all the difference when you’re doing your makeup. Not only does it help it to last longer, it refreshes the skin and makes you glow. Some branded setting sprays can be on the pricier side, which is why we love this 3 ingredient DIY spray that is cheap and easy to make.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rose water
- 1 tsp glycerine
- Combine all 3 ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a fine mist spray bottle and shake well.
- Spritz it all over the face from a distance to set your makeup.